Cricket may serve as a test: if you’ve played it without breaking a rule, you have every chance of claiming to be a gentleman. This post will teach you cricket etiquette and how to download the SportPesa app to place bets on this exquisite sport.
What Does It Have to Do With Gentlemen?
Cricket is as old as the hills. Its origins date back to the Middle Ages, to be exact. And the first players were kids and commoners. The elite became interested in the sport in the 17th century. And it was they who popularized the game—those regarded as gentlemen.
The gentries were attracted by the delicate nature of the sporting activity, which lacked the pressure and aggression of some other sports. They brought a set of laws and rules to the game, making it even more gentlemanly.
Although there were mixed teams of upper and lower classes, the roles were clearly defined, and the difference was palpable. With that, the code of conduct was the same for all. Whether a peasant or a worker, you had to behave like an aristocrat on the field.
Today’s cricketers follow the age-old Laws of Cricket and the Spirit of Cricket that was added relatively recently, at the end of the 20th century. The latter reinforces the idea of fair play, mutual respect, courtesy, and self-control.
A Sport Woven With Rituals and Traditions
The UK honors tradition, perhaps more than anywhere else in the world. And because cricket is as English as it can be, it’s not without tradition. The cricket match is one big ritual consisting of ceremonies carefully preserved over centuries.
Let the Game Start!
- Traditions show up right at the beginning of any game. The toss is one of them. The host team captain flips a coin to decide who will bat first.
- Playing the anthem of the countries participating in the match is also obligatory. This tradition holds special meaning for decolonized nations as an independence symbol.
- The match participants enter the field in strict order: the umpires first, the fielding team, and the batters at the end. They leave in reverse order.
Let It Last Longer!
- Multi-day games are traditional in cricket. In the old days, a single match could take more than a week. Modern so-called test matches can last up to 5 days.
- Test cricket has its requirements for players’ clothing and equipment. Teams play with a bright red ball and are dressed in snow-white outfits.
- During each day of a test match, teams take a break every two hours. The intervals include a 20-minute tea break and a 40-minute lunch break.
- Every true cricket fan dreams of visiting the legendary Lord’s—the world’s oldest cricket ground. The venue has been hosting matches for over 200 years.
- In the mid-19th century, the famed cricketer Stevenson was rewarded with a hat for three successful deliveries. The hat-trick tradition is now found in many sports.
- After celebrating Christmas, Australia’s cricket lovers welcome a new joyous event—Boxing Day’s test match played between the national team and the visitors.
Cricket Etiquette: How Not to Mess Up
To rephrase a famous proverb, do as gentlemen do at a cricket match. But what exactly is meant? Well, you have to observe cricket etiquette, which is not really very different from standard decency rules.
First and foremost, fair play is a must in cricket. This implies full compliance with the rules and decisions made during the match.
No matter who you interact with during the game, it’s essential to respect everyone, be it umpires, rivals, or teammates.
It’s necessary to address all match participants politely, shake hands before and after the match, and express gratitude.
Keep Your Cool
Whatever happens, players have to keep their emotions in check. Insults, violent behavior, polemics, and disagreement with umpires’ ruling are all prohibited.
Do No Harm
Deliberate actions that may cause physical harm to other players are not allowed. Damage to the pitch and equipment is also unacceptable.
The cricket field exists only to play, not to walk around idly or sit on, even at intervals. And a team that has a time-waster will face immediate consequences.
The Gentleman’s Betting With SportPesa
For centuries, refined men have not only played cricket but also bet on it. Kenyan gentlemen have ample opportunity for both. Several gambling companies offer this sporting activity, SportPesa being one of them.
The BCLB-authorized bookmaker has featured the most gripping cricket events with favorable odds for about 10 years. It enables Kenyan punters to gamble from any device using either the website or the mobile application.
Mobile betting is becoming more and more commonplace. And it’s crucial for players to be able to download a gambling app quickly, securely, and free of charge. That’s exactly how you can get the SportPesa app by following the instructions below.
Go to SportPesa Kenya’s official website, then locate and click on the sports apps section.
Pick a Version
Opt for the app version that fits your mobile device and tap the respective download button.
Install the App
Once downloaded, allow the application to install on your phone and give it time to finish.
Sign Up for It
Open the installed app, select registration, create an account, and start using the platform.
There’s a lot of dignity and etiquette adherence in cricket, indeed. Unlike most sports, adherence to the game’s code is paramount to victory. Loyalty to tradition, courtesies, and respect for each other on the field replace fierce competition. As long as cricket lives, so does gentlemanliness.